Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lettuce Curry

So, I watched videos and read articles and everyone said that juicing greens is really good, and it's some kind of super food. So I fed the green leaf lettuce into the chute, followed by some bell peppers and cucumber and onion slices. However, as I looked at the pitcher and contemplated drinking the concoction I felt sure it would turn me into that villain from Darkwing Duck--you know, Dr. Bushroot? And since I didn't want to be a broccoli headed villain for the rest of my life, I considered my options.

 And, in my experience, when in doubt add curry.
 Ingredients:
A head of green leaf lettuce
A cucumber
A bell pepper. Or two. I used green, but go crazy--try red
A few slices from an onion; I used about 1/4 of a baseball sized onion
Half a can of coconut milk (half a 12oz. can is what I used, but a whole can wouldn't hurt, either)
Two tablespoons of your favorite curry powder; I used Hot Madras Curry Powder from McCormick

Juice it. Juice it all. I started with the lettuce. When juicing lettuce, I recommend bunching it tightly into balls, or cutting into small bunches and balling those up. That way it has some mass and doesn't gumm up the juicer. Fibrous veggies like lettuce and even the peppers may gobb together and not come out the out feed chute as smoothly as less fibrous greens (celery is particularly bad). Now that you've got some powerfully evil looking green juice (I got about one quart from my veggies) combine the juice and the coconut milk in a sauce pan and warm it with medium heat. Stir in the curry powder--I find it's easiest to get it to blend in well when the mixture is already a little warm and I sprinkle it on top while stirring so it doesn't make clumps. Keep stirring a while, simmer a little, and get ready to eat it. It's delicious on jasmine rice, but I also enjoy it as a sop for my sourdough bread.

Cooking probably leeches out all the good stuff in the veggies and makes it a green mass that doesn't provide any nutrients. But, I'm not a raw food person, just a good food person. Leave comments with your results. Happy Juicing.

Oh, besides being a delicious sauce, I finished it off by mixing into my scrambled eggs: green eggs with diced ham!

No comments:

Post a Comment